10/29/2012

Stop Sweating the Details and Let Game Design 'Happen'

Wow. I'm really happy that I've stumbled upon this video from GDC 2012 posted on indiegames.com. Indie games studio Santa Ragione co-founder Pietro Righi Riva talks about things which makes loads of sense to me.

For a while now I have this thought in my mind that game is what the player makes it to be. I am certain that not only me but many people out there are trying to different kind of things while playing video games. Trying to break the rules find the boundaries and overcome them. And I don't mean cheating. Does that makes sense?

Will Wright used to talked about that somewhere. Like when you are playing a racing game but going the wrong way. What happens then? Wright also told that long time ago he was playing online FPS game Tribes but instead of shooting other players he was trying to negotiate with them and make peace.

That GDC video archive is a good place to look around. Videos there are divided into chapters so it's easy to find something later.
I remember playing  Fotonica, a game by Santa Ragione at Eurogamer 2012. It really stood out of the rest of the crowd at indie games arcade.

And the keynote of the lecture is awesome.

"The holy grail is to spend less time making the picture than it takes people to look at it"
Banksy

No comments:

Post a Comment